Every cyclist loves cake, but whilst it tastes fantastic and is a welcome mid ride treat whatever the season, it's not always the healthiest option out there. Enter this recipe, low sugar, loaded with protein and nice to eat. The last point is one of the main downsides of some 'healthier' recipes, they don't always taste very good. I was looking for high protein recipes for both mid ride snacks and post ride recovery, I found the following and decided to give it a go to try as a post ride recovery aid / snack.
- 2 scoops protein powder
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml milk (use almond milk as alt)
- 6-8 spoonfuls of peanut butter to swirl at the end
- Dark chocolate chips to decorate
- Pre heat the oven to 180c, prepare a brownie tin
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl
- Add the wet ingredients but not the peanut butter and mix until smooth
- Pour into the tin then swirl in the peanut butter and add the chocolate chips to decorate
- Bake for 15-20 mins depending on how soft you like your brownies to be
Like a lot of recipes that use protein powder it does produce a funny texture, a bit sponge like. Overall the brownie taste is there and the peanut butter provides a lovely salty crunch but they're not quite a traditional brownie. Obviously not one for wrapping up and enjoying mid ride but worth a go for a healthier snack the next day. 6/10 from me.